Saturday, January 23, 2010

Day 5 - Been a long time coming

The story goes like this. I was really busy. Really. No seriously. Anyways, it's been over a year and a half since I did anything on the bike. I ran out of time. A friend of mine at work rides a Triumph and he suggested that I call his mechanic since I was ready to just pay somebody to get this bike going for me. (I know, I know - one of the main reasons I bought it was to learn about it - but time = money and I needed more of both). So I called Eric at British in the City. Super nice guy, but as I figured, he wasn't interested in working on what's essentially a Japanese basket case.

So I decided to get back to it and that's how I got here again. I may take a more leisurely pace and work primarily on weekends, but as you can see below, I've made some progress.

Here's the latest - I got everything (well everything but ONE DAMN CHAIN) off the frame.


So, I can't figure it out. I didn't see a master link on the chain so I'm wondering if the guy I bought it from welded up the hard tail without pulling it? I can't figure out if I can get this chain off the frame. And further, I have no clue if I should. Obviously, I need to so I can get started on the refinishing, but I'm at a loss.

Here's a closeup shot of the chain and the frame:


Off to the SOHC forumes to see if I can find some help!

No comments: