Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Getting ready for top end tear down

I'll probably dig in to the first engine this weekend and see what happens. I have all the manuals that were posted on the forums for the CB550 - not sure if I'll need a Clymer's also. Glad I have the shop manual to give me all the torque readings! A quick glance tells me that there's only one (steering stem nut) that's over 50 lbs-ft and most everything in the engine looks like it's in the 6-20 lbs-ft range.

I'll probably end up getting a 3/8 drive torque wrench up to 50 for the engine. Maybe a second with a larger range for the frame. But I'll get those later since I need it for reassembly and not tear down.

I also don't have an impact wrench yet (no compressor) but I've been thinking about that one of these days. I think I'll need to put a work bench together first.

At any rate, I have feeler gauges and some of the other helpful things to get me going.

I saw in a thread on the SOHC forums to do a tracing of the head and just stick the bolts and nuts over that tracing - looks like a great idea to me.

Well, this should be fun!

No comments: