Monday, February 08, 2010

Still set for the top end teardown

I've been busy posting over at the SOHC forums and neglected posting here. So here's the latest:

I figured out how to check the tappets. All the intakes are adjusted fine, so that wasn't my problem on cylinder no. 2. I couldn't get anything in the exhaust side of any of the cylinders, but I think that's user error. I'll figure that out after I get at the top end.

In the meantime, I've been giving a lot of thought to what I want this thing to look like and how I'd like it to perform when I'm through with it. And I've decided I want a suspension on the rear end. It should make riding that much more enjoyable.

So that being the case, I've asked some questions over on the forums about what steps to take to move in that direction.

Here's some pics of the welds as the frame sits. They're not looking so great.




This one's a bit blurry, but you can see some of the issues.



Wow the welds look worse in the photos than they do in person. But that's a bad sign to me. If me, as a non-welder/fabricator can see the problems here... probably worth my time to get either another frame or swingarm.



This one's of the underside where it's not painted that blue... and it looks pretty bad >:(


So....? Time for a new frame?

No comments: